February 10, 2018
February 11, 2018
08:00 - 16:00
NIST International School
08:00 - 16:00
NIST International School
WIDA International Symposium in Bangkok, Thailand
February 10-11, 2018
The WIDA Symposium is a unique two-day forum for innovation, dialogue and reciprocal professional learning about the WIDA standards framework. The Symposium blends learning with dialogue, presenting an opportunity for experienced WIDA practitioners to deepen their knowledge and share their experience with other international school teachers.
– “All of the activities were useful because they involved interaction and sharing ideas with other educators who are using WIDA”
– “I loved the world cafe where we were able to meet with other teachers, speak about concerns and topics of interest, and talk about things that were important to us. I got a lot of ideas and took a lot away from these sessions.”
– “We are really impressed with the idea that we need to move WIDA into the curriculum. While the tools shared to do this are helpful, it was just as valuable to hear the experiences of other schools. I am really impressed with the idea that all our teachers and administrators need to be on the same page. If we share the same vision and values, then the nuts and bolts of MPIs and CAN DOs etc. will fall into place much easier. Definitely, our next step is to look at the infusing WIDA into the top, curriculum unit level instead of just working ad-hoc at the lesson level. But, even more important, to build that unified vision, we need to write that master implementation plan and get the school administration behind it. Once we have the plan and the vision, we can easily put together all the pieces of the puzzle.”
– “Some of my biggest “ah-ha” moments at the Symposium came during informal chats around the coffee dispenser or at lunch. The opportunity to learn more about other schools and their EAL programs was a powerful part of this weekend.”
International educators (EAL teachers, administrators) who have participated in previous WIDA training or are familiar with WIDA English Language Development standards and assessments. Schools are encouraged to send teams of educators to build capacity for implementation. Attendance is limited; registration is on a first-come, first served basis.
NIST International School Bangkok
36 Sukhumvit Soi 15, Klongtoey-nua,
Wattana, Bangkok 10110
An official ID will be asked for in exchange for a campus visitor ID> Directional signage to the workshop venue will be provided.
Day 1: 08:00-16:00
Day 2: 08:00-15:00
08:00–08:30 coffee and refreshments
08:30–12:00 morning session (including coffee break)
12:00–13:00 lunch (provided)
13:00–16:00* afternoon session (including coffee break)
* Note: The afternoon session of the final day of the Symposioum will conclude at 15:00
International educators (EAL teachers, administrators) from WIDA International School Consortium member schools.
Please note: This is an exclusive benefit for the WIDA International Consortium member schools.
1. Educators who have attended a WIDA Institute or WIDA Symposium
2. Educators who have used WIDA assessments (MODEL, W-APT)
3. Educators who are familiar with WIDA English Language Development standards and assessments
Schools are encouraged to send teams (EAL teachers, classroom teachers, Administrators, Admissions staff) to build capacity for implementation.
Attendance is limited; application is on a first-come, first served basis.
Please contact Jon Nordmeyer, WIDA International Programs Director and facilitator, at [email protected] with any questions.
– Flexible small group presentation/video sessions: attendees will have the opportunity to share curriculum, instruction assessment using WIDA framework (30-60 minutes)
– New WIDA tools: on-going projects and new resources that can support educators
– Breakout focus groups: e.g. admissions, data analysis, parents, reporting, teacher-created assessments
– Job-alike lunch: elementary, middle, high school, administrators
– Open Forum/World Cafe: questions e.g. assessment/implementation and program development
– Collaborative Inquiry: assessment of student work (calibration), data analysis, final synthesis burning questions
– Share best practices in using WIDA resources
– Troubleshoot common challenges and solutions using the WIDA framework
– Share questions, concerns and lessons learned in the implementation of WIDA tools
– Identify professional development needs and targets for future WIDA development
– Develop a community of international colleagues to support one another in building programs to serve ELLs
– Learn from other schools’ experiences in implementing WIDA resources
$500 Early Bird Price, ends November 17, 2017
$600 Regular Price
Application fee includes coffee/refreshments and lunch for two days. Participants also receive a copy of the WIDA Essential Actions Handbook.
Application fee is non-refundable. No refunds will be issued for cancellations or no-shows. If the event is cancelled, applicants will be reimbursed for application fees only.
– U Sukhumvit Hotel
– Movenpick Sukhumvit 15 Hotel
– Sofitel Sukhumvit Hotel
Airport to Hotel: By AOT Limousine, Metered taxi or by Airport Link Train (closest in-town station is the Makkasan Station)
Visa Info: Tourist visa
Apparel: Bangkok is a relatively warm city. We recommend that participants wear something cool yet appropriate for a school setting. All workshop rooms are air conditioned so bringing along a light jacket/sweater or a scarf may be helpful to those who easily feel cold inside air-conditioned spaces.
Michelle Marquez, General Affairs & Community Relations Manager
02 017-5888 ext. 1810
Please contact: [email protected]